Thursday, June 17, 2010

Catching my breath

Seems like I can't stop long enough to catch my breath, much less write on the blog. But I had to stop for a moment - sit down, relax, and BREATHE long enough to tell you about the incredible week I had with T. He came to spend the week with us last week while D went to VBS at home and B went to spend a week with his other grandparents. K was also at home with Audra and Brian.

Rick and I went to get T on Sunday because we wanted him to be here to start VBS on Monday morning. The mission house where we are living backs right up to the church so he didn't have far to walk. In fact, the first two days the opening "ceremonies" were in our backyard! Monday morning he was a little apprehensive about VBS - had never been before and didn't know anyone. I had already pre-registered him so I walked him over to his group. At that particular time there was nothing but GIRLS in his group, but I assured him that it was early and that soon other boys would be there. (Thank you, Lord, that you provided other boys quickly!)

This church's VBS revolved around Paul and his time in Rome. They even had the gym totally decorated like a Roman marketplace. The pastor posed as Paul in the marketplace and he was IN CHAINS. The kids moved around the marketplace for crafts, snacks, bible study, etc. Often there were interruptions when Roman soldiers made their way through the crowds to arrest people for being Christian. T was quite taken with the whole thing and was a little disappointed when I explained that the man wasn't REALLY Paul, but just the pastor acting. I later had teh opportunity to tell the pastor what an impression he had made on T. By the end of the week, T was having so much fun and always wanted to be the first one there. On Friday as we were leaving he was sad that it was over but excited when I told him that he could come and go to VBS wherever we were NEXT SUMMER!

In the afternoons, T and I had fun doing several things. One day we went to the Science Museum here in Nashville. Rick and I bought the "Grandparent package" which includes entry into the museum for us and for the boys as many times as we like over the next year. It is already one of T's favorite places.

Another day I took T to play "goofy golf". T is VERY athletic and picks up sports easily. Of course by the end of the afternoon (two games later) we were definitely "professional" golfers! T also drove a go-cart for the first time and LOVED that!

T was able to go look at several houses with Rick and I. (We are on the search for a rental house in Mount Juliet.) He was hoping we would settle on one so he could be the first one to SEE it! STill no house, but we are continuing to look and ask God to provide.

On Friday afternoon, Rick took off and we took T on a picnic at the skateboard park. He rides the skateboard and was fascinated with all the teenage boys there and what they could do on skateboards. He was concerned, however, that many of them did NOT have on helmets!

Every night T and I had devotions together and had some very sweet moments... incredible moments. Thank YOU for praying for us last week. the week passed way too quickly and it was time to take T home. I think he had a good time with Gigi and Grandpa and will come again sometime - maybe this summer before school gets out!

Sunday Rick and I will pick K up to keep him for a few days. T and J are going to camp and D is going to spend the week with Brian's parents. We felt like Audra and Brian could use a few days all by themselves to re-group! They have had the boys about 2 and a half months now. Keep praying for them. In fact, every time the Spirit prompts you to pray - just DO it!

Until next ime...

No comments:

Post a Comment